Launched in April 2001, the Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children aims to speed the end of corporal punishment of children across the world.
The Global Initiative aims to:
- form a strong alliance of human rights agencies, key individuals and non-governmental organisations against corporal punishment;
- make corporal punishment of children visible by building a global map of its prevalence and legality, ensuring that children's views are heard and charting progress towards ending it;
- lobby state governments systematically to ban all forms of corporal punishment and to develop public education programmes;
- promote awareness-raising of children’s right to protection and public education on positive, non-violent forms of discipline for children;
- provide detailed technical assistance to support states with these reforms.